Monday, October 6, 2008

Gluttony 101: Epcot Food and Wine Festival

I like food, I like drink, I like outdoors, and I like my boyfriend. So I got to combine them all into the 2nd annual day of serious gluttony, otherwise known as the 2008 EPCOT Food & Wine Festival, Cities in Wonderland.

Our journey begins with a choice: to go left or right, north or south, Canada or Mexico? We chose North. And so our journey around the world began. To Istanbul for Manti with Yogurt Sauce, a delectible dumpling with meat. Yum-o, to Louisiana for my favorite snack of the day.

Stop: Louisiana. Okay it's not a country, but one of the featured American cities at this year's festival. Not only was the crawfish etouffee my favorite food of the day, but we also stopped to see a chef demonstration--Chef Finnan taught us how to make some Shrimp Creole while I enjoyed my caffeine fix for the day, a very tasty hazelnut latte.
Fast forward through Chicken Brewat Rolls in Marrakesh (yum), Scallops with Cranberry Vinagarette and Baby Greens (pretty good), Spicy Tuna Roll (tastey), and Boxty...

The boxty is so, so. I had boxty in Irleand (like, the country, not the stand in EPCOT) that was way yummier, this one is slightly greasy.

Pit Stop: The History of Beer in America-- thank you Sam Adams for this enlightening session, but more importantly for the tastes of your delicious beer. This year, Sam, Sam Light, Octoberfest (yay!), and a specially brewed 13th Anniversary of the F&W Festival Beer (also yay!).

Worth talking about: Pepperberry Prawns on the Barbie with Sweet Potato Hash, was another highlight of the day. The Shrimp were tender and perfectly seasoned, and since I finally discovered the sweet potato in adulthood, can't get enough of it.

I lubricated the throat for this particularly fine bite with the Australian Wine Walkabout- got my passport stamped at all four tasting stations, thank you very much. I was a classy drinker though-- started with the lighter wines and progressed to the
heavier. (Last year I did the walkabout backwards-oops). Also noteworthy-- I don't always love lamb-- Alex's lambchop was d-lish and perfectly cooked.
And off for more... Samosa with Tamarind Sauce (yum), Chilled Tomato and Garlic Soup (pretty good), and one of my favorites from the 1st annual gluttony contest, the Chilaquiles from Mexico (yum, yum). It was as tasty as I remembered it.

That's just what I ordered-- other things I sampled via earlier mentioned boyfriend's orders or things we ordered to share included: Grilled Lamb Chop with Carmelized Onion Jam (yum), California Roll (yum), Grilled Beef and Hummus in a Pita Pocket (yum, yum), Louisisana Seafood Gumbo (yum), Mofongo from Puerto Rico (yum), and Resenburger Sausage with Sauerkraut in a Pretzel Roll (next year I will order my own-yum).

And that's not all, in addition to more beer, another glass of wine, and a large frozen margarita later, I also managed to find room for the Louisiana Praline Bread Pudding with Carmel Bourbon Sauce (YUM-- I RECOMMEND) and the Milk Chocolate Creme Brulee from France (So, SO-- more pudding than really creme brulee).

Did I mention I went back for seconds on the Shrimp Etouffee?
And to top it off a coffee and fireworks...Until next years annual celebration of eating your way around the world in one day.
Still Stuffed, Signing Off.
Slainte! (cheers in Ireland)

No comments: