Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Election Awkwardness


It's the day after the election and I feel stifled and irritated by comments of those around me. I know everyone is entitled to their opinion, but...unless I can have a constructive conversation I keep it to myself. Especially with family and co-workers. The two most annoying me right now.

Just to get it off my chest, I need to re-butt the two things I've heard already today.

1. Criticism over the statement that it will take "sacrifice" by the people to get the job done. My favorite thing about our President Elect is he's not scared to tell the public to hold themselves accountable for their own actions. We cannot depend on one, or many for that matter, leaders to just fix everything without some push and pull from we the people. The downfall of President Current, is he never asked that of us, never asked us to engage with our own country-- just went out to fix it all alone with his groupies.

2. "All of a sudden everying was about African-Americans, it gave me a weird, bad feeling." Well, no shit, they are interviewing black people-- it's the media. 1. this is the most "historical" thing to happen in a presidential election, probably ever. 2. the media always goes for the obvious story. If Hilary won, would this person have said to me, what now it's all about Women... women are going to take over the country. This is just a bizzare thing to say, and it upset me enough that I had to write it out.

I hope that the 52% can help out the 48%, but I gotta say, it's hard to hold out our new-found hope when you hear this stuff.

1 comment:

Vanessa said...

Well said, my dear. Well said.